Why You Need an SSL Certificate for Your Website
Have you ever noticed that some website URLs start with HTTP while others start with HTTPS? Or maybe you’ve seen a small lock symbol in the upper left corner of your browser? What do these things mean?
What is an SSL Certificate?
SSL stands for Secure Sockets Layer, and it’s a security protocol that encrypts data sent between a website and a visitor’s browser. This means that any information you enter on a website with an SSL certificate, such as your name, address, or credit card number, is protected from being intercepted by hackers.
Why is an SSL Certificate Important?
There are many reasons why an SSL certificate is important for your website. Here are a few of the most important:
- Security: An SSL certificate encrypts data sent between your website and visitors’ browsers, so it helps to protect your visitors’ personal information from being intercepted by hackers.
- SEO: Google and other search engines now give preference to websites that have an SSL certificate. This means that having an SSL certificate can help your website rank higher in search results.
- Trust: A small lock symbol in the address bar of your browser is a visual cue that tells visitors that your website is secure. This can help to build trust with visitors and encourage them to do business with you.
How to Get an SSL Certificate
There are many different companies that offer SSL certificates. Cloudflare, for example, offers Free SSL with their Free Plan, which is widely available nowadays. This means that you can secure your website with SSL encryption without any additional cost. While some SSL certificates may still require a purchase, the availability of free SSL options has made it more accessible for website owners to enhance their security. Once you have obtained an SSL certificate, regardless of whether it’s free or purchased, you will need to install it on your website’s web server.
Here are some additional benefits of having an SSL certificate for your website:
- Increased customer conversion rates: Studies have shown that websites with SSL certificates have higher customer conversion rates than websites without SSL certificates.
- Improved website reputation: An SSL certificate can help to improve your website’s reputation and make it more trustworthy in the eyes of visitors.
- Reduced risk of data breaches: An SSL certificate can help to reduce the risk of data breaches by encrypting data sent between your website and visitors’ browsers.
If you’re serious about protecting your website and your visitor’s personal information, then you need to get an SSL certificate. Contact MVee Media today to learn more about how we can help you keep your website secure.